Thursday, February 26, 2009

South Island Nelson-Greymouth-Franz Josef-Queenstown

Morning after the festival, I went off to the Te Papa museum where I meet Rebbecca it was a fantastic museum full of history about the 2 islands including earthquakes, Maori and animals, which included a massive container with the largest jellyfish I have ever seen it was huge!

I had a chilled out afternoon and found Charlotte in the evening caught up and had an early night sleep as unfortunately I have a horrible cold at the moment.

Next morning I was up at 5.30 due to the cold but we needed to be up at 6.20 anyway to get the bus to the ferry cause we were off to the south island,lucky Charlotte was fully awake cause I was feeling so ill that morning.

The crossing was amazing with lots of great coastal view then we were off to Nelson and checked into a great hostel with a pool so it was straight on with the bikinis, in for a swim and lay in the sun for a while .

Next morning it was hard to leave all my new friends I had made behind but I am sure we will all stay in touch. The drive to Greymouth was stunning with breathtaking scenery around every corner after passing through quite a few mountains, we headed out towards the coast which was almost prehistoric with the mountains, trees and ferns right by the beach. Then we stopped off at Cape Foulwind and saw a seal colony which was great there were pups playing in the rock pools, adults in the sea/ sunbathing on the rocks and trying to move around with their blubbery (fat) bodies.

That night I stayed at a funky hostel called Noah's ark where each room was animal themed I stayed in the pig room which was completely pink with pig wall paper,pictures, babe poster and little pig ornaments lol.

Off again the next day to Franz Josef with a few interesting stops including gold town and a hill billy museum were we watched the history of deer hunting well I only went cause you got to see possums up close! the film we watched was interesting and made it seem very macho with men jumping out of helicopters onto running deer and top gun music. After getting to Franz Josef unfortunately my cold wasn't great so I didn't get to do the half day hike but it was incredible view anyway and I when to the museum which was a bit disappointing but never mind.

Off to Queenstown and the road trip was great again with beautiful scenery of iced caped mountains including the famous Lake Matheson, amazing landslide which left huge boulders of mountain and a huge waterfall. Also we stopped off at a bungee jump bridge which almost had me tempted but not quite, I sat next to an interesting girl from Japan who had never been on holiday apart from coming to nz a couple of months ago!

I am currently in Queenstown and have had a chilling out day, walking, sun bathing, chatting to people in the dorms(more like a little flat with its own kitchen and sitting area) and sunbathing on the grass outside :)

Love Jen xx

Next is Dunedin and Lake Tekapo

1 comment: